Monday, January 2, 2012

Salted Microwave Caramels

I haven't got much of a sweet tooth.  I do enjoy sweets, but not all too often.  And I'm pretty picky about those that I choose to indulge in.  My one true weakness is caramel.  Not just any caramel, though.  Oh no. It has to be salty!  Sounds weird, but it really isn't.  You must know by now that salt is in pretty much everything, so why do people think its so weird when I say I like a bit more salt in my sweets?  Mmm.  


For as much as I absolutely LOVE caramel, I've never actually made it before.  Making candy scares me.  Mainly because I'm impatient and I don't want to have to sit hovered over a simmering pot watching the thermometer rising.  Like a year or so ago I attended a candy making class at church.  They showed us how to make caramel and I decided it doesn't seem so hard.  But again, I didn't want to sit over the pot watching that darn thermometer!  The ladies teaching sent us home with a few pages of tried and true candy recipes and on it was one for microwaveable caramel.  I was a little hesitant, but finally after a year or so, I've actually tried it!  


The consensus:  Seeing as I consider myself a connoisseur of caramel, I found it quite delicious, although not particularly the best I've ever had.  Mind you I AM a connoisseur, so to the average pallet, it would most likely be outrageous!  The absolute BEST part?  It took less then 10-15 minutes start to finish to make (well, minus the cooling time at the end)!  Can't beat that!

(this isn't my picture...it got eaten too fast for me to take one!  This one came from here)
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt (approximate)
Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.

Microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and sugars are melted completely.  If mixture looks grainy, microwave in 1 minute intervals, stirring thoroughly until mixture is creamy and has no lumps.

Stir into a well greased 8x8-inch dish and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.

Sprinkle sea salt over mixture and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Cut, wrap in wax paper and store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment