Monday, January 2, 2012

Lemon Bars #2

A couple of years ago we lived on this beautiful 30-acre property in a beautiful area with cows and chickens and fruit trees and wild blackberries galore...I miss it so.  There were a couple of lemon trees, which meant way more lemons then we knew what to do with.  We gave them away.  Had lemonade almost every day.  I even squeezed the juice and froze tons and tons in ice cube trays.  So I went on a quest to find lemon recipes.  Lemon bars was high on my list.  I love lemony goodies.  Lemon cake, lemon bars, lemon sorbet, lemon glaze...I pretty much did it all (ok, I guess I didn't make lemon sorbet, but I wanted to!)  This was one of the recipes I tried.  It comes from Bakerella, which means it must be fabulous (anything from Bakerella or the Pioneer Women is sure to be out of this world!).
For the Crust:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 2/3 cups confectionary sugar (plus more for dusting)
Topping:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 4 whole eggs, slightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

To make crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and confectioner's sugar.  Cut in butter until combined and crumbly.  Press crust mixture into bottom of pan.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.  

To make topping: 

While crust is baking, prepare topping.  In a larger bowl, add sugar, flour, and baking powder.  Then add slightly beaten eggs and lemon juice.  Mix well and pour on top of warm baked crust.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.

When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar and refrigerate.  Cut into bars.

Makes 2 dozen.

(If you only want to make a small batch, this works great cut in half and baked in a 8x8 baking pan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment