Monday, January 2, 2012

Cheesy Fondue

We've had a New Years tradition in my family for as long as I can remember.  On New Year's day, my mom would put out all sorts of snacky foods and make cheese fondue from all of the Hickory Farms cheese they would get in the mail from friends and relatives.  When we got married, I introduced this cheesy goodness to Music Man.  He was an instant fan!  This is only my 3rd or 4th year of making it myself.  Its easy, fairly quick, and so good!




  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups apple juice (traditionally uses wine, but I'm not a wine drinker, so I prefer juice)
  • 7-8 cups shredded cheese (use a variety! One year I used about 6 cups of Jarlsburg Swiss, a cup of sharp cheddar and about a cup of those little round cheeses rapped in red wax and wrapping.  This year I used the shredded Swiss/Gruyere mix from Trader Joes (about 6 cups) and added 1-2 cups of cheddar)
  • 1/2 to 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Cubed bread (and/or cut veggies, meat, or anything else you would like to dip)
Heat a medium sauce pot on medium heat. Rub minced garlic on bottom of pan. Pour in apple juice (start with 1 cup and add more if needed after adding the cheese); bring to a boil. Slowly add in shredded cheeses. Constantly stir until cheeses have thoroughly melted. If it seems to thick, add a little more apple juice at a time. If it seems to thin, dissolve some corn starch in water and add to your fondue to thicken it a bit. You want it to be a thick enough consistency so it will coat your bread, but not to thick so as to slide right off. When done, keep in the pan and dip your bread with a fork into your fondue, or place cheese mixture in a fondue pot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment