Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

Within the last few years we discovered our boys have allergies...lots of them.  Food allergies, pollen allergies, dust & mold allergies...you name it, one of them probably has it.  I've learned to think outside the box.  To try new things.  So here it is, I'm trying something new.  

Beans in brownies, really?  Who comes up with these things in the first place?  I guess I'm the weirdo who actually tries them.  It's all out of despiration.  Really. 

Technically speaking, these are the perfect dessert for my boys.  It's gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free...pretty much free of everything but eggs (which I'm sure you could substitute just fine).  I can definitely taste the black bean, but that might also be because I made them.  My boys, my husband, and my dad all tried them and none could guess what the "secret ingredient" was.  They were all surprised when I told them it was black beans.  My 4-year old has decided recently that he's "allergic" to beans {aka he doesn't like them}, but when I told him they were in the brownies, he said "oh yah, I LOVE beans when they're like this!" I definitely won't be hoarding this pan of goodies or entering them in the next bake-off, but my kids liked them, so I'd say they accomplished the task.

  • 15 oz, weight can black beans, rinsed
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 whole egg white
  • 8 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder, packed and heaped
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup Agave Nectar (or honey)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional...I omitted this due to allergies)
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray the sides and bottom of an 8"x8" glass pan with olive oil (or coconut oil spray).

Dump the can of black beans into a strainer and rinse with water, draining well when finished.  Then pour the beans into a blender. 

Crack eggs into a separate dish, then add to the blender. 

Measure coconut oil into a small, microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for about 20 seconds.  Stir until completely melted and add to the blender.

Measure cocoa by packing into a measuring cup with the back of a spoon, then add to the blender.

Measure and add baking powder, vanilla, applesauce, and agave nectar to the blender.

Blend on low until smooth.

Remove the blender lid and stir in walnuts (if using).

Pour brownie batter into your prepared glass pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 40 minutes or until firm and dry in the middle.

Allow to cool and cut into single servings.

Store the brownies in the fridge, tightly covered.

Serves 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment