Monday, September 12, 2011

Tri-Tip Fajitas

We had a delicious dinner at my parents the other night, which my mom sent us home with a bag full of leftover tri-tip.  If you don't know what tri-tip is...I'm sorry!  I'm not really gonna go into it, but ri-tip is a certain cut of beef that was started in a town not too far from where we live.  Its good.  Anyway, I had this leftover tri-tip.  I've never made fajitas before (well I have, but only from a bag of Trader Joe's frozen fajita mix), so I thought I'd have a try at it.  They turned out YUM-MEE!  I totally made it up, so any of you die-hard fajita fans, please don't judge me!  


  • Leftover tri-tip (or steak or pork or whatever), sliced into strips (about 1/2" wide, 2-3 inches long, doesn't really matter so much the size)
  • Onion, sliced
  • Bell peppers (I like a variety of different colors), julienned
  • 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning
  • 3/4 cup Water
  • Cheese, shredded (cheddar or Jack are good)
  • About 1 tsp sugar
  • Olive oil
  • 1-2 Tbsp butter
  • Tortillas (corn or flour)
  • Sour cream (for garnish)
Heat about 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1-2 Tbsp butter in a medium to large skillet on medium heat.  When butter has melted, throw in your sliced onions.  Toss a little to disperse the oil/butter on all the onions.  Let cook down, stirring occasionally.  Make sure they don't burn!  When the onions are about 1/2 done (when they're starting to get flimsy & somewhat translucent), sprinkle them with about a teaspoon of sugar (unless you're using sweet onions or don't want sweet caramelized onions).  This gives them a little sweetness.  Also add the bell peppers (I used frozen julienned peppers from Trader Joes).  Let cook down until just right (I like them nice and soft...if you like them harder, then stop cooking soonder!).

Meanwhile in another pan, heat a little oil and heat up your sliced leftover meat.  When its heated through, sprinkle with 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning (more or less depending on how much meat you have) and 3/4 cup water.  Stir thoroughly.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer for 10-20 minutes until the water has gone down and the seasoning has soaked into your meat.

When everything is cooked, heat up your tortillas - if you're lucky enough to have a gas grill, warm 'em on a burner.  Otherwise through 'em in the oven real quick or in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until they're just warm enough and are more flimsy.

Top tortillas with onion/pepper mixture, meat, shredded cheese, and sour cream (in whatever order you wish!).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment