Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chicken Dorito Casserole

My sister-in-law passed this recipe on to me a couple years ago. When she had her first baby, a lady from church brought this to her and she ate it 4 days in a row, she loved it so much.  Of course the first time I tried it (a couple years ago), I made it all wrong.  I didn't get what Rotel tomatoes were (Rotel is the brand & they're the ones that are diced w/jalapenos), so I just used regular diced tomatoes.  And I switched the soups...used 2 cream of mushrooms & 1 chicken.  It was very bland.  I couldn't understand what was so great about it and haven't made it since.  A couple months ago I had a huge bag of Doritos I wanted to get rid of, so I tried this again...the right way!  It was tasty.  My boys loved it, my hubs loved it, I loved it.  And then I made it 2 more times after that.  It definitely isn't the healthiest meal on the planet, in fact you can't really get much more processed (unless I guess you used American cheese...bleh!!), so it pretty much kills me every time I make it (most likely literally).  But it is so easy to make and everyone likes it, so its a good treat every now and then! (please don't judge my photography skills on this pict...my cameras are all busted, so I've been using my husband's iPhone, which does not focus good. In fact it pretty much stinks unless I've got PERFECT lighting, which NEVER happens!)


  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
  • 2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes (the can of tomatoes w/diced jalapenos in it)
  • 1 can water
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 (13-16 oz) bag nacho cheese Doritos
  • Shredded cheese (I usually use Monterey Jack or cheddar)
  • Sour cream (for topping)
Preheat oven to 375°.  Boil chicken, shred, and set aside for later.  Mix the canned ingredients (and water) together and set aside.  In a 9x13" casserole dish, put a layer of Doritos to cover the bottom.  Layer 1/2 chicken on top of Doritos and then ladle 1/2 soup mixture on top of this.  Repeat the layers (Doritos, chicken, soup mix) with the rest of the ingredients and then sprinkle shredded cheese to cover the top.  Bake for 30 minutes and then let cool.  Serve topped with a spoonful of sour cream.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment